Sabrina|16|Single and disgusting|Mexican|
Excuse me no. I was just pointing out that heterophobia is just as bad as homophobia, in fact all discrimination is. Just because it’s not on a bigger scale doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, or doesn’t effect anyone.
lmao please tell me what horrible stereotypes and discriminations heterosexuals face. when was the last time you were fired for being straight or someone saw you holding your boyfriend’s hand in public and called you a disgusting breeder or someone literally beat a heterosexual to death and left them lying in the street just for being straight. go rub some mayonnaise on your wound and sit down.
Checking privilege basically means that you recognize and acknowledge the privileges you have by being part of a privileged group. Specifically, checking your White privilege specifically means that you recognize and acknowledge the modern ways in which being white benefits you.
- You are ridiculously more represented in media
- You earn more money and more likely to be called back for job interviews because you don’t have an “ethnic” name
- Your beauty standards are the world’s beauty standards
- Your children do not grow up associating their skin color with being bad or ugly
- Stop and Frisk will not disproportionately affect you
- You are much less likely to be a victim of systemic medical abuse
- Sacred aspects of your culture won’t be stolen and commercialized at your expense
- Your propagate your own brand of Feminism that benefits solely your race
- You’ll never know what it feels like to have your teenage son’s death being mocked
- You can be articulate and well-spoken without people being surprised
- You won’t face expulsion from school over your natural hair texture
- You won’t be followed by security while shopping
- "Nude" colored clothing and makeup means white nudity as the default
- The very fact that you can deny that you’re privileged
If you can acknowledge how your skin color puts you in a class where your needs, opinions and thoughts matter and classified as the norm or default and if you can not wield that privilege like a weapon, then you have successfully checked your white privilege. Also, speaking personally, if you come at me sincere, you don’t need to worry about having a “dumb” question.